SaskatoonFOW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nathanr

4 posters

Go down

nathanr Empty nathanr

Post  nathanr Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi guys, I'm Nathan. I've played Warhammer Fantasy for the last bunch of years but I've always been intrigued looking over at the Flames of War tables at the Den. It seems that several Fantasy players are thinking about branching out into a new game and FOW seems to be the one that most of them are interested in.

I'm most interested in putting together a British (or possibly Canadian) army with motorcycles but I have no idea where to start OR if that is even possible. In all the reading I've done (not much) I can only find British motorcycles in early war. I don't really know how the game works, can an early war army fight against a late war force? I would imagine it would be at a disadvantage but how severe would the disadvantage be? Any insights you guys can give me would be appreciated.

nathanr

Back to top Go down

nathanr Empty Re: nathanr

Post  lorsve Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Early war(EW) is very different from Late war(LW). The point values are different and the tanks improve vastly. There are a few lists that will let you run outdated equipment though.

3x Confident Veteran Pak36 are 110 in EW and 80 in LW
3x Confident Veteran Pak38 are 255 in EW and 90 in LW

For British Motorcycle platoons there is one on P127 of Blitzkrieg. Universal carriers seem to take the role after that. I'm not as familiar with british but most of their transports are trucks.

lorsve

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Hmm, that's what I've found too. I really want to include motorcycles in my force because my wife's grandpa and his brother owned a motorcycle shop here in Saskatoon selling British bikes. The brother actually was a motorcycle mechanic in the war for the British army and pretty much wrote the book on modern motorcycle mechanics (that's actually the name of his book). Its some fun family history that I'd like to include in my army somehow. If there was any way to get a motorcycle platoon in a mid or late war British force I'd love to know it.

nathanr

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:35 pm

British, Americans and Canadians really only used motorcyles for despatch riders. Some other armies (Germans, Russians, French, Italians) used them for reconnaissance purposes.

Timbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lorsve Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

There are some platoons that have a Jeep or two which are usually used by command teams. I don't think anyone would mind using motorcycles as proxies.

lorsve

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

That may be what I end up doing, using the motorcycles more for visual interest on the bases than for actual motorcycle platoons. Thanks for the information guys.

nathanr

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 am

if you are interested in playing fow, you should go late war force. if you buy the hard cover rule book, you get a forces book with it and you can see of the nations in there including the english.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm

I saw a really nice-looking scenic objective marker that featured a motorcyle rider at a crossroads reading a map. So yes there are multiple ways you could feature motorcyles in your army despite them not being in your army list proper.

Timbo

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 am

Hey guys, I'm back and now I actually have some models! With the release of the Overlord book I've found my Late War British Motorcycle platoons and I found a deal on the rest of the army that was too good to pass up. I'm going with a British Airborne Armoured Recce Squadron and I've got all the models except 3 Tetrarchs, a captured German half track, 1 Motorcycle Team and a Jeep. The Den's FOW section isn't nearly as organized as their GW stuff.

Anyway, I've got lots of assembling and learning to do, hopefully I'll see some of you across the table in the future.

I noticed that this forum doesn't seem all that active, is there a different place that people set up games and get in contact?

nathanr

Back to top Go down

Post  lorsve Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am

People will contact opponents directly sometimes. I play less in the summer but could possibly play this weekend.

lorsve

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 am

I won't be ready to game for quite some time yet, I've got to sort and assemble everything first. I opened up the box that has all the infantry and I am baffled as to what is what. I forsee a lot of nights looking at pictures online to sort everything out.

nathanr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum